- £12.99 Paperback
- Buy Now
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 978-0-7190-4559-2
- Pages: 208
- Publisher: Manchester University Press
- Price: £12.99
- Published Date: August 1998
- BIC Category: Literature & literary studies / Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers, LITERARY CRITICISM / Canadian, Literary studies: fiction, novelists & prose writers, Literature
- Series: Contemporary World Writers
This is the first full-length study of Alice Munro's work to be published in Britain. Highlights Munro's distinctive storytelling methods where everything becomes both 'touchable and mysterious'.
Coral Ann Howells is Professor of English and Canadian Literature at the University of Reading
Series Editor's Foreword
List of Abbreviations
1. Contexts and intertexts
2. Ontario Gothic: 'Dance of the Happy Shades' and 'Something I've Meaning to Tell You'
3. Secrets and Discoveries: 'Lives of Girls and Women'
4. Only formal connections: 'The Beggar Maid'
5. Star Maps and Shifting Perspectives: 'The Moons of Jupiter'
6. The Art of Indeterminacy: 'The Progress of Love'
7. On lies, secrets and silence: 'Friend of My Youth'
8. Taking Risks: 'Open Secrets'
9. Critical overview and conclusion